Friday, February 6, 2015

Purpose of the Blog

I feel everything. I feel everything deeply. And everything I feel overwhelms me.

I am a highly sensitive person. My whole life, I knew there was something different about me, particularly emotionally and socially. Then one day, I stumbled across Dr. Elaine Aron's website, hsperson.com, and I finally understood why.

Discovering this as a unique personality trait that I have been blessed with has helped me see myself in a more positive light. I now understand "why" - why I've had trouble sleeping my whole life, why I'm so quiet in large groups, why I don't enjoy loud parties, why I constantly need time alone. Don't misunderstand me - understanding "why" brings me great relief.

But my search to discover how to deal with my trait has not been so successful. You see, every HSP is unique, and I am no exception. In addition to being an HSP, I am a medical student and I am a Christian. Anyone familiar with the long, difficult process medical students must endure is certainly aware that this field is not HSP friendly. Yet it is my calling. More to come on this later.

So that is why I'm creating this blog. I hope to document certain aspects of my journey as a highly sensitive Christian and medical student, so that perhaps someone else in a similar position would benefit from this. I hope that someone will one day, in the desperate state I have so often reached, google search "highly sensitive medical student" or "highly sensitive Christian" and find that they are not alone. 

Furthermore,  I my secret hobby is writing. I have been writing extensive journal posts and poems long before discovering I was and HSP. It is a healthy form of release for me. So even if no one ever finds this blog, it shall serve it's purpose. 

But I sincerely hope others will find it. There is a ton of information about there about how to deal with high sensitivity. Most advice comes down to avoiding or limiting highly stimulating situations. But not so many explain how to overcome and thrive in such situations. I don't want to leave medical school, yet I desire to fully embrace my high sensitivity. My longing is to discover a way to use my high sensitivity to make me a better doctor and a even better Christian. Here is to hoping we can figure it out. 


[The link to an HSP test and website: http://www.hsperson.com/test/highly-sensitive-test/] 

No comments:

Post a Comment